I knew I wanted to make tortilla soup this week, so I purchased all of the things I thought I’d need to make it. Well, a few days, and many recipes, later, I ended up using half of the things for other meals. Dumb, I know. I really need to keep better track! So, this recipe ended up being totally off the cuff and it turned out amazing! And so, so easy. I kept thinking about how proud of myself I was with this one as I devoured my bowl at dinner. Yes, devoured.
Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb of chicken (Cut of your choice. I used breasts.)
- 2-12 oz. cans of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of salsa
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt & Pepper
- A couple squirts of Sriracha Hot Sauce, to taste
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small can of diced green chiles
- 3 cups of shredded mexican cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups of milk
- Dice up or shred cooked chicken, seasoned well
- In a large pot, toss onions and green peppers with a little olive oil and cook to soften.
- Put broth, chicken, water, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salsa, red pepper flakes, Sriracha, salt, pepper, green chiles into the large pot. Bring to a boil.
- While that heats up, melt the butter in a separate sauce pan.
- Once butter is melted, whisk in flour and stir until well blended.
- Add milk and continue to whisk. If it is too thick, add some of the broth mixture and continue to mix.
- Bring to a boil and add in the cheese. Stir until thoroughly melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the soup and stir as you do.
- Turn heat to low/medium and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring regularly.
- Serve with tortilla strips and sour cream.